The theme for January is hotels in Dunbar and below there are photos of and comments on 3 historic Dunbar hotels.
Kerridge’s (now the Bayswell) Hotel (click on all photos to enlarge)
The first photo shows a familiar building in Dunbar – The Bayswell Hotel – which was formerly known as Kerridge’s . A 1903 commercial directory – Slater’s – lists the hotels in Dunbar and includes “Kerridge’s Family hotel (facing the sea) (Mrs.
J. Kerridge, proprietress), Bayswell Park, Dunbar”. On the Scottish Military Research Group site, one of the comments on the Dunbar War Memorial quotes a source stating “Intimation has been received in Dunbar by his relatives that Private Louis Kerridge of the Cameron Highlanders, has been killed in action. He had been out of the trenches on eight days leave, and on the day in which he returned he was killed. A post-card was received by his children from him which bore the words “Be good. And God bless you.” Deceased was the son of Mrs Kerridge of Kerridge’s Hotel, and at one time was a very prominent player in the Dunbar Football Club.” A Bayswell Hotel researcher states that “The hotel was built in the 1890s and was then known as Kerridge’s Hotel. In 1901 Jane Kerridge was the Hotel Keeper. She was a widow aged 61”. Jane and George’s daughter was Emily who married Thomas Craig jnr in 1905. Jane a widow lived at Portlodge at the time. Emily and Thomas became the owners of the George Hotel (1911 census) then they moved into the Craig en Gelt Hotel around 1920.
Notification of Kerridge’s move to Dunbar
This advert from The Haddingtonshire Courier in the History society archives does not have a date on it but will be in the 1890s. The hotel was originally owned by George Kerridge as indicated here, although there is no mention of his wife. An interesting reflection of the times is that the hotel is offering “good stabling”, presumably for those arriving in carriages and “good baths” as if a bath might not be taken for granted when staying in a hotel.
Photo featuring Jackson’s Hotel
If you enlarge the photo above, you will see that the building at the bottom right is Jackson’s Hotel. This later became the Railway Hotel and then the Dolphin Hotel. At present, it is empty and awaiting development. Across the road is the house that would later become the Royal Mackintosh Hotel. The photo is part of the “Dunbar, From Church Tower” series.
Hillside Hotel – formerly YMCA
This photo is of what is now the Hillside Hotel but at one time was a YMCA (Young Men’s Christian Association) guest house. Jim Herring recently met a 92 year old man from Edinburgh who remembered staying in the Hillside YMCA as a youth in the 1950s.
We’re sticking with hotels for February – 2 Temperance hotels and 2 others.
Wilson’s Hotel on the High Street
Wilson’s Temperance Hotel was where the Bank of Scotland is now on the High Street. On the A1 History site (scroll down) – where the photo was first put online, it states “Wilson’s Temperance Hotel at 95 High Street occupied the site where the Bank of Scotland now stands. The next door flats, now demolished, have boards up advertising a business run from each house. The lower one is for A W Anderson, Watchmaker”.
“The most obvious avenue for enterprise was temperance hotels. Some dated from the anti-spirits era but more were from the Forbes MacKenzie Act era – counter-attractions to dubious ‘commercial hotels’ connected like brothels with after-hours drinking, spurred by expansion of the temperance press. They were regarded as “practical protests” against drinking and ‘safe places’ for the eternally vigilant. Their numbers rose sharply in mid Victorian Britain. Like coffee houses, they often provided reading rooms and ‘stock rooms’ for businessmen. They were used by itinerant dental surgeons, and as community facilities, as temperance halls were”.
The Albert Hotel now the Dunmuir Hotel
The Albert Temperance Hotel was on Newhouse Terrace and later became the Goldenstones Hotel. It was built as a hotel in the early 20th century and is now the very successful Dunmuir Hotel, which notes on its website that “Work to create a hotel on this site began in 1898, when construction began on an elegant Victorian building in red sandstone. It had a grand oak staircase, ornate plasterwork and art nouveau fireplaces, and opened for business in 1902 as the Albert Temperance Hotel”.
Castle Hotel and shops in the High Street
The next hotel is The Castle which stands there today and has a long history in the town. It opened as the Castle Inn in 1867 and was later changed to the hotel name. The shops around it are interesting also. If you enlarge the photo, you will see Mr Folkarde’s West End Store on the corner. Mr Folkarde was the father of DDHS Secretary Pauline Smeed. Next to the hotel is Gordon’s Provision Stores, with the lorry being unloaded outside. Next to that is John Cowan and Sons, Summerfield Mains Dairy. Summerfield Mains was the farm which stood on the land where the new council houses were built in the late 1940s/early 1950s. The name of the next shop is unclear but after that, the Danish Creamery shop can be seen.
Edenholme later the Eden Hotel
The final hotel is referred to here as the Edenholme Private Hotel. DDHS member Dr Pat Simpson has been researching this hotel and provides the following information: Built in the 1820s, the Eden Hotel was originally the family house of the Sked family, who ran the Dunbar Foundry next door. They built huge steam driven threshing machines. Part of the foundry walls can still be see today at St Pauli. Bought by retired Lt Col William Purves of the East India Company, in the 1850s, he named it Edenholme. It remained a 2019 private house until the 1930s, when it became a hotel under various names, such as Edenholm Guest House and Edenholm Private Hotel. In the late 1940s, it adopted the name Eden Hotel, finally reverting to a private residence in 2018.
This month, we move on to cafes in Dunbar in the 1950s and 1960s. Click on all photos to see an enlarged version.
Doric cafe in Dunbar High Street
The first cafe to be highlighted is the Doric which was situated in the High Street where the present Pound Shop is. John Janetta ran the cafe and in the 1960s, it was a haunt for teenagers to meet up. This cafe was probably best known for its jukebox and John Janetta always had the latest pop chart songs. So it was a very social place but many people from the 1960s will remember it as a place where romances blossomed and faded. To the right of the cafe was the ironmonger Universal Supplies which was run initially by the McLuckie family and later by the Jamiesons.
Togneri family outside the Lido cafe and billiard hall
This photo is taken outside the Lido Cafe which was located in the High Street where the Chinese restaurant – the one down from Umberto’s) now stands. The photo is dated 1938 and shows Guy Togneri on the left, John Togneri on the right. The woman in the middle is as yet unidentified. The billiard hall was attached to the Lido Cafe and was a very popular venue for young men until the 1970s. It was where many boys met after school – and sometimes during school hours. The cafe is remembered for its ice cream and hot orange amongst younger people and its meals and snacks amongst older visitors. It was always packed during the summer with visitors.
Carruthers’ restaurant and cafe
The 3rd cafe is Carruthers’, which was a restaurant, cafe and sweet shop combined. It was situated on the High Street where Fade Lasers now stands (2 doors down from Dunbar News). It belonged to the parents of DDHS member Charlie Carruthers, whose family took over the shop from the Misses Main in 1954 and expanded the range of meals offered. This was another cafe which had visitors queuing down the High Street all summer and was the lunch venue for young women taking part in the swimming pool beauty contests in the 1950s and 1960s.
Side view of Lauderdale Garage
Lauderdale Cafe opposite The Glebe
The final cafe is the Lauderdale Cafe which stood opposite The Glebe and next to the present Lauderdale Garage. The first photo shows the side view of the cafe which was later demolished. The cafe was run by Kitty and “Gentleman George” Armet and was previously owned by the Hallam family. There was a sweet and ice cream counter at the front of the shop and a cafe at the rear. Kitty Armet is seen in the middle of the 3 women. In the enlarged version, you will see that the cafe sold Hood’s ices, Dunbar lettered rock and local postcards. It was very popular with visitors to Lauderdale Park and Dunbar swimming pool.